Unbelievable how fast this rotation has gone by… tomorrow is already my last day in hospital… of the year. Then final exams next week!
I haven’t blogged in over three weeks, ashamed! No excuses! Although getting home late most days leaves me completely exhausted, especially after dinner when I still have to study 😦 That, and I have not done anything interesting during this rotation! Mostly focused on school, I haven’t even been taking photos regularly! Oopsies.
I’m very excited to be approaching the end of third year, which has been fantastic. I love being in the hospital, being part of a team, and the opportunity for hands on learning. Definitely excited to be finishing up this year, but a little apprehensive about next year as well, ah!
Here are a few updates:
- So fortunate to have been a part of such an awesome medical team for this rotation. We are having a farewell lunch tomorrow… I’ll definitely be a little sad but it will be nice to see their faces next year as well 🙂
- Final exams next Wednesday morning! It will consist of a long case and a short case. For the long case, we get 1 hour with a patient and during that hour, we must get a full history and do a full examination. This is followed by 20 minutes with two examiners where we present our case and get grilled. The short case will be a focused examination completed within 8-10 minutes, also followed by a brief summary/presentation to the examiners and being questioned. Sounds nerve wracking? It is!
- Because real patients are used for our exams, we are banned from the hospital as of Friday. That way, newly admitted patients are kept secret 😉 And so, I’ve decided to go to the beach this weekend. Relax and do some reading under the sun… lots of reading to get through in preparation for my exams next week!
- Will be going to my first baby shower! Mum-to-be is my lovely friend Kristen, who makes pregnancy look absolutely beautiful!
- Then Mike and I are flying home on Sunday, November 17th at 7:45 am! We’ll be heading to the airport quite early, will we be up all night doing last minute packing? Mike will for sure. I’ll be doing my packing while procrastinating studying for exams.
- We’ll be arriving in Vancouver on November 17th at 7:25 am and will spend a couple of days visiting my sister (studying OT at UBC) before going back to Ottawa, arriving at 11:40 pm on November 19th!
- Yay, I’ll be home for my grandpa’s 80th birthday!
- After many weeks of snail mail, I have finally completed my registration to write the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE)! This will be the first of 4 Canadian exams I will have to complete should I wish to train in Canada. My exam will be on February 28th in Melbourne!
- I have a lot of studying to do… for the rest of my life.
- But yay, home soon! And for Christmas!