May 06, 2016
With fresh hair cuts and styles from our wedding hair trial, Michael and I went home to change and get ready for our engagement photo shoot!
We were very lucky that our photographer, Kim Ing (Facebook Page), was so easy to work with. Because honestly, who offers to do engagement photos one week before the actual wedding? We were incredibly thankful for the opportunity not only to have some pre-wedding photos taken, but also the chance to work with and get to know Kim before the big day!
Kim spent a few hours guiding us across various sites downtown. Despite being nervous prior to starting (we’ve never been the sole subject of photography before), both her and her assistant were incredibly easy going and immediately put us at ease.
Her gentle reminders of “bra strap!” “other nose!” “shoulders back!” only helped us be more aware of our surroundings and posture for better photos.
We didn’t know how many pictures to expect from the engagement shoot – but were incredibly pleased at the number and quality of photos we received. Of course, as we are our own biggest critic so not all shots are most “flattering” from our point of view. But even with pruning down to our favourite shots, there were still a ton to enjoy!
Here are some of our favourites, we hope you like them too!
Stairs to the canal under Plaza Bridge
It didn’t hurt that we both lost a little bit of weight working all those night shifts before coming home for the wedding! 😛
Look, we matched! Although if we were doing this shoot again, I think it would look much nicer if we had both worn lighter colours!
By the Rideau Canal Locks with the Chateau Laurier in the background
Looking across the Rideau River at our wedding venue – Canadian Museum of History
On the Rideau Canal Locks with the Alexandra Bridge in the background
Major Hill Park – just a week shy of the tulips blooming!
Play is our favourite restaurant to visit in Ottawa! Highly recommend 😉
My prince charming!
For more engagement shots, CLICK HERE TO VIEW!
During wedding planning, Michael and I decided that photography would likely be the biggest chunk of our budget (after food of course). We chose Kim Ing Photography for a number of reasons:
- We both love and appreciate timeless photography. We were looking for a classic, natural lighting style that Kim captures beautifully. Check out her portfolio!
- During our first meeting, Kim met with us at her home office, which was stylish, comfortable, and put us at ease. Not to mention she served us cupcakes!
- We did not have conflicting personalities and felt we could work well with her.
- Even though we came with a huge list of questions, she took the time and patiently answered them all. She was even happy to show us photos from a wedding she had photographed at our venue a few years back.
- Her photography training (not just ‘self taught’) and wedding photography experience
- Many photographers in Ottawa that were charging less than Kim had portfolios that often paled compared to my own amateur photography. We wanted someone who would deliver above and beyond our expectations – which is exactly what Kim did.
For those who are interested, our photography package cost $3949.35, which included the following:
- 10 hours wedding day photography coverage with an assistant
- Professionally edited high-resolution images on DVD
- Private online proofing gallery
- Complimentary engagement session (including high-resolution edited photos)
- Rights to privately print all photos
- Photos provided 6-8 weeks post wedding date
Kim was fantastic to work with and we were very happy to have her capture our wedding day as well. I will save the wedding photography for a separate post – stay tuned!